American Photographer David Zimmerman Wins L'Iris D'Or Award, 2009 =with indeed wonderful fine art landscape photographs=
Zimmerman : "My documentation of these remarkable deserts throughout Arizona, New Mexico, California and Nevada continues in an effort to influence preservation through public awareness, opinion and action." On the announcement of his award, Zimmerman said: "I am thrilled beyond belief, and I want to thank you for this award. There was some wonderful work from some wonderful photographers... I hope this work continues, to make us feel, think and laugh, and I share this award with all the photographers doing terrific work out there."Vincent Foong, from Singapore, was announced as the Sony World Photography Awards Amateur Photographer of the Year for his image in the Natural History category.
See the 2009 SWPA winners gallery
19 March 2009
The professional finalists and amateur winners of the 2009 Sony World Photography Awards are announced. The 44 photographers, from 22 separate countries, beat off stiff competition from the 186 shortlisted photographers, revealed last month. Each of the photographers on the list will be exhibited and honoured at the Sony World Photography Awards ceremony at the prestigious Palais des Festivals in Cannes, France, on Thursday 16 April.
Of the 12 professional category winners, one photographer will be the recipient of the L’Iris D’Or, the Sony World Photography Awards Photographer of the Year. On the night they will be awarded $25,000 along with Sony camera equipment. The winning amateur photographer, selected from the eight category finalists, will receive a $5,000 cash prize and Sony camera equipment.
Winner of “L’iris d’Or” - Best overall photograph will receive:
- Recipient of the title “Sony World Photography Awards Photographer of The Year" $25,000
- Entry into the “World Photographic Academy”
- Exhibition showcase of winning image and 25 picture portfolio at the 2010 Sony World Photography Awards...
- Recipient of the title “Sony World Photography Awards category name Photographer of The Year"
- Flights to Cannes, and 2 nights accommodation in a hotel on the famous Croisette and receive VIP tickets to attend the evening gala awards ceremony, taking place on the 16th of April, 2009.
- Winning image will be exhibited on the Sony World Photography Awards’website and promoted to creative.
More on the website
Congratulations Vanessa Winship for winning l’iris d’or and Arup Ghosh for winning the best Amateur.
The Sony World Photography Awards aim to promote the work of photographers worldwide. As one of the main prizes, the professional category finalists and amateur category winners will be showcased in the Winners’ Exhibition inside the Rotonde Lerins which takes place alongside the Festival, a week-long celebration of photography. This winner’s exhibition will then be adapted for the 2009/2010 Global Tour, which exhibits throughout leading galleries and cities around the world.